Saturday 5 November 2022

Beccy's Place - The Letter A

 Welcome!

The first card at last for Beccy's Place: A month of Holiday Cards Challenge

Yes, I'm starting with the letter A and playing catch-up all the way!

My first card has Chocolate Strawberries from Beccy's Place on them: 



Don't they look yummy with their shiny glaze on?

In Afrikaans, my home language, a strawberry is an Aarbei.

Strawberries remind me of Christmas time here in Cape Town. Nowadays, the strawberry season is quite long, but when growing up, the season was mainly in November. My dad would go and buy strawberries on the farms in Stellenbosch and then my mom would make this glorious strawberry syrup with whole strawberries. Not a jam, but really a thick syrup. You guessed it, on Christmas day that was served with ice cream. What a wonderful memory. I never got the recipe from my mum before she passed away, but I think I must try making it this year in memory of those days.

Hope you like my creation!

Do visit again!

Hugs

Rene


2 comments:

  1. Your card is fabulous Rene, you did an awesome job with the colouring... the chocolate looks shiny and delicious! I really like the distressed edges around the image panel, it adds great texture to the project. Thank you for sharing the lovely story about your childhood, what a wonderful memory. I really hope you're able to recreate your Mum's aarbei syrup recipe.
    Cheers,
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beccy, I will definitely try to make the aarbei syrup and let you know by making another card to let you know if I'm successful ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Do visit again.
Hugs, Rene

PS If your name is Anonymous, so sorry, but you will have to sign in. I do not accept anonymous comments anymore.